Ballistic fiber is a rare resource used in the construction and repair of higher tier armor. To keep yourself outfitted in the later stages of the game, you will need a lot of it.
The best way to get ballistic fiber quickly is by going to military installations in the Cranberry Bog and loot military grade duct tape and military ammo bags. Go to them in this order for best efficiency:
- Fort Defiance
- The Thorn
- Forward Station Alpha
- Firebase Major
- Firebase LT
- Camp Venture
- National Radio Astronomy Research Center
Methods for Obtaining Ballistic Fiber
There are several methods for acquiring ballistic fiber. Some are more effective than others, but we’ll cover them all below.
Quests Can Have Ballistic Fiber As a Reward
Some quests randomly drop ballistic fiber or components that scrap down into it. More specifically, it seems that defend events from capturing workshops have a higher chance of dropping ballistic fiber.
The unreliable nature of the drops from quests make this a poor choice for stockpiling ballistic fiber, but every little bit helps.
Purchase Bulk Ballistic Fiber From Vendors
There are robot merchants and vending machines scattered around the map that may offer you the opportunity to purchase ballistic fiber. It’s a good idea to get in the habit of perusing the wares of vendors whenever you get a chance.
Ammo Vending Machines
I’ve checked many of the ammunition vending machines located at the train stations. Every time they had bulk ballistic fiber for sale.
I didn’t have any perks to reduce the price. It sold for 354 caps which will yield ten ballistic fiber each. Honestly, even at that price, it’s a pretty decent deal, especially later in the game when caps are less of an issue. Well worth the price considering the time it saves.
I’ve found other vendors that carry bulk ballistic fiber, but nothing that feels like a pattern. It feels like all vendors have the possibility of having it available for sale.
Note that you’ll also want to keep your eyes peeled for military ammo bags and military grade duct tape. Most vendors will have the possibility of having these items to convert to ballistic fiber.
Scrapping Items That Contain Ballistic Fiber
You acquire ballistic fiber from scrapping military gear. There are currently three items in-game that scrap down into ballistic fiber. They vary in rarity with one of them being extremely difficult to find, and the other two being reasonably common.
Military Ammo Bags
Military ammo bags are the discarded containers of various types of ammo. While they don’t contain ammo anymore, they’re still useful. When scrapped at a workbench military ammo bags yield two ballistic fiber each.
Military ammo bags found at military installations around Appalachia. More on that later.
Military Grade Duct Tape
Miltary grade duct tape is the bigger, stronger brother of the already useful commercial duct tape that litters Appalachia. It can be scrapped to yield two units of ballistic weave and four excess adhesives.
Military grade duct tape like military ammo bags is in military installations.
This item was in previous fallout games and is reported to be in Fallout 76. I haven’t found any yet, but it is said to yield two ballistic fiber when scrapped at a workbench.
I assume they found in high-end military research facilities, but that’s strictly a guess on my part.
You Can’t Scrap Power Armor Frames for Ballistic Weave
Earlier in the history of Fallout 76, it was possible to scrap power armor frames for ballistic fiber. It made it pretty easy to acquire since there are a lot of power armor frames around Appalachia that no one needs.
Bethesda has since fixed this so that scrapping power armor frames will yield no ballistic fiber. I understand why they patched it, but it still makes me a little sad.
Best Locations to Find Ballistic Fiber, Ammo Bags, and Military Grade Duct Tape
Fort Defiance is or more accurately was a significant base for the Brotherhood of Steel, but now is typically overrun by Scorched. Head in and deal with the Scorched and other nuisances living there.
- North Wing, Third Floor
- One military ammo bag sitting on a bed inside a room with five beds inside
- One military ammo bag is on the small table next to the locker inside a small room across the hall from the previous place.
- Two military ammo bags are on the metal box and the bottom shelf in the room on the third floor near the elevator.
- One military ammo bag is in the room directly across from the elevator sitting on a rolling cart between two beds.
- North Wing, Second Floor
- One military ammo bag is on a shelf at the base of the metal stairs in the small room with the broken wall.
- Two more military ammo bags are on a shelf in the small room to the south of the metals stairs.
- Near the tent
- One military ammo bag is near brotherhood corpses by the shelter and cooking station.
- North of the tent
- One military grade duct tape and ammo bag are on the north side against the barrier.
Forward Station Alpha
A small camp consisting of two tents with a couple of small guard platforms and missile launchers for protection. This site is northeast of The Thorn and east of devil’s backbone in the Cranberry Bog.
- Raised platform to the north.
- One military ammo bag on the raised platform to the north sitting up against a duffle bag.
- Northern tent
- One roll of military grade duct tape on the ground near the brotherhood corpse
- One military ammo bag on the ground near the opening inside the tent.
- One military ammo bag is on the shelf towards the rear of the tent.
Firebase Major is a pretty ironic name for this camp. It features a couple of missile launchers for protection and little else. I usually find a few Scorched at this location. It is one of those locations that if it weren’t on the way to other bases wouldn’t be worth stopping, but it’s on the route so might as well hit it.
- Inside the tent
- One ammo bag rests on the wooden boxes.
Another small base with a couple of tents and missile launchers providing the lion’s share of the protection. This spot is just south of Camp Venture and east of Firebase Major.
- Stairs to the southwest
- One military ammo bag near the skeleton hanging on the railing.
- Northern Tent
- One military ammo bag is on the shelf near the weapon workbench.
Camp Venture is just north of the Cranberry Bog and south of Harper’s Ferry. Usually, you’ll find this spot controlled by Scorched. There are better spots to find ballistic fiber, but its proximity to other nearby bases warrants a quick stop.
There is an ammo vending machine located here that usually has bulk ballistic fiber for sale.
- Western lookout shack
- One military ammo bag sitting on a barrel on the balcony.
- Left-hand porta-potty
- One military ammo bag is sitting next to the seat.
National Radio Astronomy Research Center
Located northwest of Firebase Major just outside the Cranberry Bog. Its proximity to other military installations makes it a decent stop on the ballistic fiber train. Just head into the building and then towards the back, you’ll find stairs that go straight to the top.
- Top of the stairs
- Two rolls military grade duct tape on a shelf to your left.
Camp McClintock is a military training facility located south of the Sutton Train station and northeast of the nearby Lakeside Cabins. You’ll find many militarized robots here. None of them are hostile.
Camp McClintock is one of the best spots to get ammo bags in the game.
- Near Overseer’s Cache
- One military ammo bag on the table to the right of the cache.
- One military ammo bag sitting on the lower shelf of a locker across the room from the cache.
- Barracks, nearest the main building
- One military ammo bag sits on a shelf towards the rear of these barracks.
- One roll of military grade duct tape is sitting outside the front entrance to the barracks on a wooden box.
- Live Fire Course Shack
- One military ammo bag is located inside the shack sitting on the floor
- One military ammo bag is in the southwest corner of the building on the floor.
- One military ammo bag is behind the front desk on drawers.
- APC outside the barracks,
- One military ammo bag is inside the APC on the right.
- Main Building
- One roll of military grade duct tape is upstairs on a rolling cart.
Situated on the northern edge of the map on the line between the Forest and the Toxic Valley. Clancy Manor is east of the Aaronholdt Homestead and north of Cobbleton Farm.
You’ll find some low-level Scorched, but nothing more complicated than that. You should have no troubles with them.
- Main house upstairs
- Three rolls of military grade duct tape sit on the shelf upstairs near the tinkerer’s workbench.
Converted Munitions Factory
East of Prickett’s Fort in the northeast corner of the map, you’ll find the Converted Munitions Factory. If you’re running an ammo-centric build, then I highly suggest taking this workshop for a spin.
People also seem to think that the defense quests here have a higher chance of yielding ballistic fiber-related loot. I have not confirmed this, but still a great workshop.
- In the yard
- One roll of military grade duct tape is sitting on the yellow work station in front of the two tanks.
This base is on the southern edge of the map. It’s on the border between the Cranberry Bog and the Savage Divide. Firebase Hancock is essentially two small trailers surrounded by barricades.
I usually find mole miners here, but I assume it could be populated by Scorched or super mutants as well.
- Western trailer
- One roll of military grade duct tape on the floor next to the footlocker
- One military ammo bag on the shelf inside the locker
- Missile launcher
- One ammo bag in the broken foot locker below the ammo box. I’m not sure this one is lootable. I wasn’t able to get close enough due to the missile launcher blocking me.
- One roll of military grade duct tape on the platform leading to the missile launcher.
Forward Station Delta
Like most areas in the Cranberry Bog, you’re likely to find scorched beasts and a lot of other nasties. I’ve found it to be calmer than some of the other camps. This camp consists of a trailer surrounded by double-stacked barricades.
- Inside the trailer
- One military ammo bag by the footlocker at the foot of the bed by the door.
- One roll of military grade duct tape on the table by the fridge.
It always seems like there is some hot mess going on here. Most of the time involving many scorched beasts and other miscellaneous Scorched to back them up. So if you fast travel here, be careful.
Note that there are two trailers here. You want the one at the top of the hole, not the one that’s down in the hole.
- Upper Trailer
- One military ammo bag next to the skeleton inside the trailer towards the back by the window.
Monongah Power Plant
Monongah is one of three power plants in Appalachia. It is east of Morgantown and well north of the Top of the World. Enemies here range from feral ghouls, Scorched, and super mutants. Maybe all three at once.
- Guard shack at the entrance
- One military ammo bag sitting on the desk inside the guard shack.
- Tent on top of the roof
- One military grade duct tape inside the broken footlocker
- One military ammo bag is near the ammo box inside the tent.
Relay Tower EM-B1-27
Relay Tower EM-B1-27 is between Vault 76 and the town of Flatwoods. There isn’t much opposition here. Usually, a few low-level robots. Watch out for the turrets mounted on the walls. They hurt and can catch you off guard.
- Skeleton outside the APC
- One military ammo bag is near the skeletal corpse heading from the APC to the front door.
- In the building
- One military ammo bag is on the floor behind a footlocker beneath a cot.
Sons of Dane Compound
The Sons of Dane are an impressive little group of party going gun enthusiasts. Their compound is between the Monongah and Thunder Mountain power plants. I’ve run into all kinds of enemies here. Keep your eyes peeled.
- Guard tower nearest the road
- One roll military grade duct tape at the top of the tower near the skeleton.
The Spruce Knob has a short tower with a workshop. Across a bridge, you can see a monorail with a train parked in the station.
- Inside the train
- One military ammo bag is to the right on the right-hand shelf.
- One roll of military grade duct tape on the left side of the train on a shelf near a skeleton.
- One military ammo bag is under the corpse of the first soldier skeleton.
Survey Camp Alpha
Survey Camp Alpha is a small exposed camp located southeast of Watoga. There is always some action here. Scorched populate it with scorched beasts flying overhead as well so be careful.
Not a great location for ballistic fiber, but it is on the route towards other nearby bases.
- Western Tent
- One roll of military grade duct tape on the wooden boxes across from the ammo box.
Thunder Mountain Power Plant
Thunder Mountain is another of the three power plants in Appalachia. Located in the far northeast of the map just south of Abbie’s Bunker. Frequently it is overrun with Scorched. Note that the workshop is in the upper area near the guard shack.
- Tent, Furthest from the workshop
- One military ammo bag on the table towards the back.
I said in the beginning that you’re going to need a lot of ballistic fiber in the later stages of the game. That said, I hope the methods that you’ve learned here will help you along and make things a little safer.